Gazi Baba was founded on November 3, 1976. Name of the Municipality of Gazi Baba comes from former famous Ottoman poet Ashik Celebi - Gazi Baba, who lived in the 14th century. Later, over the centuries, the territory was recognized as a place with a lot of religious buildings and abundant sources of water. The early 20th century, MGB was one of the municipality's 18 districts of Old Skopje.

Since the independence of Macedonia, municipality of Gazi Baba becomes part of the nation's capital and it is a communication and a traffic port. The head office is located on the street Archimedes number 2, 1000 Skopje.

MGB is located in the northern part of the Republic Macedonia, and the eastern part of the Skopje valley and the city of Skopje. Most of the territory in the central, southwest and south part (65% of the total area) is plane, arable land, surrounded by several heights in the northern part of the municipality of Gazi Baba Park Forest and in the central area, in Kamnik, and upland area (Skopje Montenegro) in the eastern part of the municipality.